Friday, August 3, 2018

The Value of Breaking Old Habits to Form New Ones


My wife passed away June 16, 2018, and I miss her very much, but life goes on. A few weeks ago, I set about clearing out our closets and bathrooms of items no longer being used. I was able to bless our grandchildren and nieces and give them everything from shoes and clothes to jewelry and bathroom items which had belonged to my wife.

I am alone now and have more space in both the closets and the master bathroom. The illustration I am about to give might seem a bit silly, but I think it carries with it a very good point. You see, I have been keeping my toothpaste and toothbrush in a drawer next to the sink. Well, I decided to place them, now, into a nice small vase, just the right size on top of the sink counter.

It has been at least 3 weeks since I made the change. I brush my teeth three times each day by habit. However, to date, every single time, I still forget and open the drawer to get the toothpaste and toothbrush which, of course, is no longer there. It has finally occurred to me that to form a new habit, I must focus on also breaking the old habit.

When children come to our learning center, most of them have incorrect or non-existent cursive handwriting. I have found that, generally, it takes two to three weeks to break their poor penmanship habits and build the new habit of excellence and correctness. Part of the problem is not having received the best training in the past, but it is also true that there needs to be a purposeful desire to break the old habit while building a new one. This thought process is true, no matter what type of habit needs to be reordered.

Focusing on old patterns will always keep us in that mold. Focusing on the new should carry with it the desire for advancement and improvement. It is illustrated often with bank tellers being trained to see the correct currency bills so that they will easily recognize the counterfeit. The apostle Paul in his letter to his friends in Philippi used this illustration:

“And now, brothers, as I close this letter, let me say this one more thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.” Philippians 4:8
“Sow a thought, reap an act; Sow an act, reap a habit; Sow a habit, reap a character; Sow a character, reap a destiny.” Dr Anil Kumar Sinha

No comments:

Post a Comment